After lots of heavy foods over the holidays, I’ve been craving something light. I had a package of sweet italian sausages in the fridge that needed to be used, so here is what ended up happening.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 1/2 cups shredded or finely chopped cabbage
- 2 x 19 oz cans diced peeled tomatoes with juice (I used the ones with onions, celery,etc in them)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3 teaspoons dried basil
- 4 handfuls baby kale or chopped kale
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups bow tie pasta, cooked separately to al dente and set aside
- In a soup pot, heat olive oil.
- Squeeze sausage out of the casings into small meatballs.
- Cook sausage over medium heat until browned, adding in onions, celery, garlic and carrots part way through.
- Cook uncovered for 5 minutes, or until onions are soft.
- Add tomatoes, chicken broth, cabbage, and basil. Bring to a boil and season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer until carrots are almost done, then add kale.
- Cook until carrots and cabbage are cooked through. Check seasoning again.
- To serve, put some cooked pasta in the bottom of the bowl, add soup, stir to combine.